As far as breadcrumbs are concerned, they are links and help online businesses with their internal linking and search engine optimization. Before I discuss about the benefits of breadcrumb navigation in terms of SEO and usability, let’s understand what it is and how to make the best use of it.
What are Breadcrumbs?
Breadcrumbs are nothing but navigation aids that web developers integrate into the web pages for varied reasons.
Making the Best Use of It
HTML links that show the way to webpages are useful for on-page SEO and professional SEO services recommend their use in your website. To make the most out of breadcrumbs, it is imperative that one uses the primary keywords of every page as the anchor text within the links he makes to the higher layer web pages.
Benefits of Breadcrumbs for SEO
Using breadcrumbs has some definite advantages as far as your website optimization is concerned.
- First of all, they will show Google that the main keywords used are so essential that you have built additional content pages in order to describe them. Again, several web pages have used those primary keywords both in their content and links.
- Secondly, they will make the content on your site more relevant because a link from one web page to another is for the purpose of providing further information about the same topic. Make sure there is some associated topic in another web page of the website that those internal links are referring to.
Benefits in Terms of Usability
Besides search engine optimization, breadcrumbs are also beneficial for human users.
- Adding these to all the web pages will help users know where they are exactly on your website and won’t get confused.
- Since they are navigation aids, breadcrumbs make browsing of your site much simpler.
- With just a single click, your site visitors can easily access the higher layer pages.
- No problems when it comes to user testing.
- Lessens bounce rate. To be candid, these navigation aids can be used effectively to tempt first-time users to surf your site after visiting your landing page.
- They take an insignificant amount of space on the web pages.
- They are simple, easy to use and understand. The moment visitors see breadcrumbs, they immediately know how to use them.
- Helps visitors to access specific pages quickly as well as complete their tasks faster.
Do you know of other benefits? Please share your thoughts.